Tuesday, 30 September 2014

Past Papers - M.A. English Part II (PU)

7. YEAR 2009 (Supplementary)
Attempt any FOUR questions, question No. 1 is compulsory. All questions carry equal marks. 
1. Explain with reference to the context any THREE of the following extracts:
(i) I wander through each dirty street
Near where the dirty Thames does flow, 
And mark in every face I meet
Marks of weakness marks of woe.
(ii) A shadow bobbed in the window,
He was snapping the carrier spring
Over the ledger. His boot pushed off
And the bicycle ticked, ticked, ticked. 
(iii) ..... how we live measures our own nature
And at his age having no more to show
Than one hired box should make him pretty sure
He warranted no better, I don't know. 
(iv) I imagine this midnight moment's forest
Something else is alive
Beside the clock's loneliness
And this blank page where my fingers move
(v) But now affliction bow me down to earth;
Nor care I that they rob me of my mirth;
But Oh! each visitation 
Suspends what nature gave me at birth, 
My shaping spirit of Imagination. 
(vi) Then with the slow incline of his broad breast, 
Like to a diver in the pearly seas
Forward he stoop'd over the airy shore
And plung'd all noiseless into the deep night. 
2. With reference to the poetry of William Blake interpret innocence and experience. 
3. Discuss the role of imagery in "Kubla Khan" (Coleridge) 
4. Discuss the significance of the nightingale in Keats' "Ode to a Nightingale". 
5. Larkin's poetry records loss. Discuss. 
6. Discuss "Personal Helicon" as a poem about construction of the artist. (Heaney)
7. The salmon function as poetic inspiration in "That Morning". Discuss. (Hughes) 

No comments:

Post a Comment