1. The sign is the central fact of language. Discuss in detail with reference to structuralism.
2. Write a comprehensive note on standards and vernaculars.
3. (a) Explain English short, vowels in relation to the cardinal vowels.
(b) Transcribe the following stress according to the grammatical use;
(i) Accent (verb)
(ii) Contest (noun)
(iii) Decrease (verb)
(iv) Export (noun)
(v) Increase (verb)
4. (a) Discuss phrase structure grammar in detail.
(b) Draw tree diagram for the following sentence giving P-Markers: The exercise in the book is very easy.
5. What is lexical semantics? What role do sense relations play in lexical semantics? Discuss in detail.
6. What are the causes of language change? Discuss them with reference to English language.
7. Write notes on TWO of the following:
(i) Language and speech
(ii) Manners of articulation
(iv) Comparative Linguistics