Thursday 17 September 2020

Important Questions | Selected Poems By S.T. Coleridge | Eureka Study Aids

1. Explain the following extracts with reference to the context. 
(a) It is an ancient Mariner,
And he stoppeth one of three.
'By thy long grey beard and glittering eye,
Now wherefore stopp'st thou me?
(b) And I had done a hellish thing,
And it would work'em woe:
For all averred, I had killed the bird
That made the breeze to blow.
(c) Are those her ribs through which the Sun
Did peer, as through a grate?
And is that Woman all her crew?
Is that a Death? And are there two?
Is Death that Woman's mate?
2. Explain the following extracts with reference to the context. 
(a) An orphan's curse would drag to hell
A spirit from on high;
But oh! more horrible than that
Is the curse in a dead man's eye!
Seven days, seven nights, I saw that curse,
And yet I could not die.
(b) This seraph-band, each waved his hand,
No voice did they impart --
No voice; but oh! the silence sank
Like music on my heart.
(c) Then reached the cavers measureless to man,
And sank in tumult to a lifeless ocean:
And 'mid this tumult Kubla heard from far
Ancestral voice prophesying war!
3. Explain the following extracts with reference to the context. 
(a) And all should cry, Beware! Beware!
His flashing eyes, his floating hair!
Weave a circle round him thrice,
And close your eyes with holy dread.
(b) Those sounds which oft have raised me, whilst they awer,
And sent my soul abroad,
Might now perhaps their wonted impulse give,
Might startle this dull pain, and make it move and live!
(c) There was a time when, though my path was rough,
This joy within me dallied with distress,
And all misfortunes were but as the stuff
Whence Fancy made me dreams of happiness:
4. Coleridge As a Poet of Supernatural
5. Coleridge As a Narrator/Story Teller
6. Theme of Torment in Coleridge's Poetry
7. Critical Appreciation of 'Kubla Khan' 
8. Moral of 'The Ancient Mariner' 

RELATED POSTS

No comments:

Post a Comment