Thursday 17 September 2020

Important Questions | Selected Poems By Seamus Heaney | Eureka Study Aids

1. Explain the following extracts with reference to the context. 
(a) Now, to pry into roots, to finger slime,
To stare, big-eyed Narcissus, into some spring
Is beneath all adult dignity. I rhyme
To see myself, to set the darkness echoing.
(b) Some day I will go to Aarhus
To see his peat-brown head,
The mild pods of his eye-lids,
His pointed skin cap.
(c) I could risk blasphemy,
Consecrate the cauldron bog
Our holy ground and pray
Him to make germinate ....
2. Explain the following extracts with reference to the context. 
(a) Something of his sad freedom
As he rode the tumbrel
Should come to me, driving,
Saying the names.
(b) Out here in Jutland
In the old man-killing parishes
I will feel lost,
Unhappy and at home,
(c) He had unstrapped
The heavy ledger, and my father
Was making tillage returns
In acres, roods, and perches.
3. Explain the following extracts with reference to the context. 
(a) A shadow bobbed in the window
He was snapping the carrier spring
Over the ledger. His boot pushed off
And the bicycle ticked, ticked, ticked.
(b) Sowers of see, erectors of headstones ...
O charioteers, above your dormant guns,
It stands here still, stands vibrant as you pass,
The invisible, untoppled omphalos.
(c) I love hushed air. I trust contrariness.
Years and years go past and I cannot move
For I see that when one man casts, the other gathers
And then vice versa, without changing sides.
4. Seamus Heaney As a Modern Poet
5. Major Themes in Heaney's Poetry
6. Symbolism in Heaney's Poetry
7. Critical Appreciation of 'The Tollund Man' 
8. Critical Appreciation of 'Personal Helicon' 

RELATED POSTS

No comments:

Post a Comment