Monday 29 September 2014

Past Paper Poetry 2009 | M.A. English Part II (PU) | Eureka Study Aids

Attempt any FOUR questions, question No. 1 is compulsory. All questions carry equal marks.
1. Explain with reference to their context THREE of the following extracts:
(i) Now to pry into roots, to finger slime
To stare big eyed Narcissus, into some spring
Is beneath all adult dignity, I rhyme
To see myself, to set the darken echoing.
(ii) The human dress is forged iron,
The human form, a fiery forge,
The human face, a furnace sealed
The human heart, its hungry gorge,
(iii) For borne away in deadened air
May go the sudden shut of loss
And for a second get it whole,
So permanent and blank and true.
The fastened doors recede.
(iv) And how did you stop? I can't remember
You stopping, I Imagine they reeled away -
Rolling eyes, as if driven from their fodder.
I imagine I shooed them away
(v) Could I revive within me
Her symphony and song,
To such a deep delight 'twould win me,
That music loud and long,
I would build that dome in air,
That sunny dome! those caves of ice!
(vi) Away! Away! For I will fly to thee,
Not charioted by Bacchus and his pards,
But on the viewless wings of poesy,
Though the dull brain perplexes and retards:
2. Compare and contrast "Holy Thursday 1" and "Holy Thursday 2". (BLAKE)
3. "The Ancient Mariner" clearly contains a large element of personal allegory of fear and guilt and loneliness, says Kathleen Coburn. Discuss. (COLERIDGE)
4. How do the last lines of the "Ode on a Grecian Urn" form a fitting equation for the poem? (KEATS)
5. Comment on the theme of change in Larkin's poetry.
6. Illustrate Heaney's relationship with Ireland with close reference to "Toome Road" and "Casting and Gathering".
7. The "Thought Fox" is a poem about metaphor. Discuss.

No comments:

Post a Comment