Thursday, 2 October 2014
Past Papers - M.A. English Part II (PU)
10. YEAR 2011
Attempt FOUR questions. Question No. 1 is compulsory. All questions carry equal marks.
1. Attempt any FOUR of the following with reference to the context:
(i) Those long uneven lines
Standing as patiently
As if they were stretched outside
The Oval or Villa Park,
(ii) ..... You went on ---
And twenty cows stayed with you hypnotized.
(iii) Something of his sad freedom
As he rode the tumbrel
Should come to me, driving,
Saying names .....
(iv) Seasons of mists and mellow fruitfulness,
Close bosomed - friend of the maturing sun;
Conspiring with him how to load and bless
With fruit the vines that round the thatch eves run;
(v) And did those feet in ancient time
Walk upon England's mountain green?
(vi) It is an ancient Mariner,
And he stoppeth one of three
'By thy long grey beard and glittering eye,
Now wherefore stopp'st thou me?
2. Discuss the role of doubt and contemplation in 'Mr. Bleaney' and 'Church Going'.
3. Compare the power of salmon in 'That Morning' with the power of the fox in 'Though Fox'.
4. 'Toome Road' and 'Casting and Gathering' exemplify Heaney's positive vision of Ireland. Explain.
5. Discuss the style and structure of 'Hyperion Book I'
6. Discuss in detail the relation between images used in 'Kubla Khan'.
7. In what ways do 'Songs of Innocence' compare with 'Songs of Experience' in Blake?