Sunday, 21 December 2014
PAST PAPER - SHORT STORIES 2014
15. YEAR 2014
Attempt any FOUR questions. All questions carry equal marks.
1. Which salient features of a short story do differentiate if from a novel?
2. How does Alice Waider satirize racial and colour discrimination in her short story "Strong Horse Tea"?
3. 'The Man Who Loved Islands' by D.H. Lawrence ridicules idealism through the experience of a man who fails due to the intrusion of his own human imperfection. Discuss it.
4. What is the significance of the framed narrative technique used in the context of the story 'Once Upon a Time' by Nadine Gordimer?
5. Do you think that the title of the story "The Dead" by James Joyce is justifiable?
6. Why does Jonathan, the central character of Achebe's short story "Civil Peace" count himself 'extraordinary lucky' after facing a painful experience of war?
7. Discuss the symbolic significance of the city of Lahore in the story "The Property of Woman" by Sara Suleri.