1."Displaying masterful technical dexterity, Conrad makes us fully aware of the deep mystery of truth in his extraordinary exploration of human savagery and despair". Discuss Heart of Darkness in the light of this statement.
2. Critically examine the aesthetic theory of Stephen Dedalus as expounded by James Joyce in his novel A Portrait As A Young Man.
3. Virginia Woolf was attempting a new type of fiction. It was to have "no plot, no comedy, no tragedy, no love interest or catastrophe in the accepted style". Discuss To the Lighthouse.
4. "The white man is very clever ... He has put a knife on the things that held us together and we have fallen apart". Discuss this statement of Obierika in Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe.
5. "My purpose in writing the novel was to depict a phase of our national life and the decay of a whole culture, a particular mode of thought and living". Write critical analysis of Twilight in Delhi according to this statement by its author.
6. Compare and contrast the theme of Heart of Darkness to that of Things Fall Apart.
7. What are the salient features of modern English novel?