1. Describe Aristotle's view on Ideal Tragic Hero. Or
Critically examine Aristotle's concept of Catharsis.
2. Critically assess Raymond William's essay on "Tragedy and Contemporary Idea". Or
Explain in detail what Raymond William means by the "Rejection of Tragedy".
3. Where does the meaning lie, in the Text, reader, writer or the structure? Explain in the light of Catherine Belsey's "Critical Practice". Or
Discuss Belsey's arguments in favour of structural criticism.
4. What relationship does Catherine Belsey establish between criticism and commonsense? Or
On what grounds in tradition linked to tragedy? Discuss in the light of Raymond William's "Modern Tragedy".
5. Critically appreciate any ONE of the following:
(a) Behold her, single in the field,
Yon solitary Highland lass!
Reaping and singing by herself;
Stop her, or gently pass!
Alone she cuts and binds the grain
And sings a melancholy strain;
O Listen! For the vale profound
Is overflowing with sound
No nightingale did ever chant
More welcome notes to weary bands
Of travellers in some shady haunt,
Among Arabian sands.
(b) When we two parted
In silence and tears,
Half broken hearted,
To sever for years,
Pale grew they cheeks and cold
Colder thy kiss;
Truly that hour foretold
Sorrow to this!