1. Discuss in detail the different branches of linguistics and their scope.
2. Write a note on psycholinguistics.
3. Write a detailed note on places and manner of articulation of English consonants.
4. Discuss briefly the major semantic theories.
5. (a) What is phrase structure grammar? In what ways is it an improvement on IC analysis? Discuss.
(b) Draw a tree diagram for the following sentence giving P-Marker:
I quite quickly drew the picture. OR
Give function labels and form labels for each of the words in the following sentence and also put them in phrase brackets:
Our students are very intelligent.
6. What did the linguist Ferdinand de Saussure contribute to the study of modern linguistics. Discuss.
7. Write notes on TWO of the following:
(ii) Language and Culture
(iv) Transcribe the following:
(a) a cup of tea
(b) bread and butter
(c) a fly in the ointment
(d) grapes are sour
(e) hand in glove with